Thursday, July 24, 2014

Writing and Feeling Free

 
As I promised in my previous post, today I'm going to talk a bit about my writing and I will share more from time to time. It's funny to me when I think about the fact that I've never really talked about my writing here and I've been writing this blog since 2008. Some of my original goals for writing this blog were:

  1. To reach out to others because I felt isolated in those early days of living here
  2. To share my experience as an expat
  3. To get back to writing again

Over the years I've explored the first two goals a lot as is evident here on my blog. And even though the third goal did happen within the act of publishing my numerous posts, I realize that I've kinda been a writer undercover here at my blog  :-)  It's not like I've hid it, but it just struck me recently that I never really mention writing outside of blogging here. I may have mentioned writing a little bit, but if I did it's been so long that I can't remember. LOL.

Writing this blog has brought so much into my life in ways that I could never have imagined. I've become friends with people that I probably wouldn't have connected with otherwise. I've had the opportunity to share my experiences in a new land with all of the wonderful people who have read my blog over the years. And I've been given the chance to experience new places and things through blogging. It has been a blessing. You know, I just read back what I wrote and it sounds like I'm giving up blogging...that is not the case at all :-)  In fact, I have a renewed interest in blogging and all things writerly lately so I hope you'll keep visiting me here.

Anyway, back to the point of this post...pardon me, I ramble sometimes. LOL. That's the fun of a blog though...something that I'd forgotten. This is my place to ramble if I like. It doesn't have to be perfect because hey, life isn't perfect.

Okay back to the point  ;-)  So I'm going to share more about my writing here from now on. I'll weave it in with my photos and various posts. It won't be a detailing of plot points from my book or anything, but it'll just be me being me. I'm like every other writer in that I don't want anyone to read my book until it's done, but talking about my love for writing will be a joy!

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm in a writing mood lately. I've been working on this one manuscript  for a few years off and on. It really got put to the side while I was finishing my degree, but now I'm interested in finishing it. Here's the thing though. It's like somebody turned on a switch and I have ideas for two other books. Well, to be fair, one of the other two ideas has also been with me for a while and I've been making notes. The third idea just popped into my head a couple of weeks ago when of all things I was making the bed. LOL. Hey, you never know when inspiration will strike I guess ;-)

Even though three ideas are floating around in my head currently, I know that I need to take them one at a time. And if some ideas pop into my head, I'll just keep doing what I've always done...I'll keep writing down my notes.

This post is longer than I planned for it to be and I was rambling, but it has been therapeutic. You know why? It's been helpful because I spoke my truth and let my intentions out. I'm usually a private person and that's fine. I think privacy is important especially in the times that we live in. However, I know that creatively I need to release the dam sometimes and be free! I'm a laid back person as well and it feels good in my soul to just not hold back so darned much. Thanks for reading this far...I appreciate it! :-)

Until next time...



5 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so true inspiration can come from anywhere. That's why I love to get out and see the world as much as I can. But even reading and connecting with people and seeing other viewpoints can be fodder for stories or ideas. Not to say that when I read I take someone's ideas but I may get a little nudge from that and incorporate it into a whole new direction. It's wonderful to be in that creative flow and see where it all goes, and I look forward to hearing more about your writing as you go. I am very private too, but once in a while you definitely want to open up and share. I see what you mean about the distinction, particularly with social media being so rampant that people feel everything they think or do sometimes has to be shared. But when I read your blog you share such a varied mix of content, it is always interesting, and to blend in what you are currently working on fits. I run away from oversharing too, so I know you will find the perfect balance there. I look forward also to when we have time to chat about writing and ideas when I have a little more free time. It's a great thing to help each other keep the creativity flowing, even if we already have plenty of ideas going. It just intrigues me to see what I can learn or be inspired to write when I step in that flow of ideas or share them with someone else.

BLOGZOOM said...

I also used the virtual writing for therapeutic purposes and created wings to the imagination.

And among so many wonderful trips around the world, I found this friendship so special.

Hugs

Dori said...

Sarah,
Yes, when inspiration strikes it's amazing! I'm so glad that you understand what I'm saying and I look forward to sharing a more well-rounded "me" here. Your support and friendship are so appreciated :)

Sissym,
I love how you phrased it..."created wings"...exactly! Yes, I love that blogging has brought us together my friend. It is indeed special and is a joy for me :)

Letrise said...

Dori, I love it. Writing is very therapeutic for me as well. I love being able to express my thoughts too. Like you I was a little skeptical sharing my thoughts!

Dori said...

Letrise,

Yes, writing is so therapeutic! And it's so freeing just to let what you've created out into the world :)